Cerebral Palsy Information

Cerebral Palsy Treatments

Cerebral Palsy Types

financial assistance

There is no way around it; having a child with cerebral palsy will add financial stress to a family. Treatments, therapies and special equipment will likely be required. Some families will feel added stress if one of the parents who provides economic support has to stay home and take care of the child with cerebral palsy.

If your child was born with cerebral palsy, it is important to know that there are several resources out there that can help provide financial relief. There are a variety of federal, state and local programs that offer financial support for people with disabilities.

Federally Funded Programs: SSI and SSDI

There are two main programs that are funded by the federal government: SSI and SSDI. These programs are designed to provide people who have cerebral palsy with additional monthly income when they are not able to earn enough to support themselves. SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income and SSDI stands for Social Security Disability Insurance.

Medicaid and Cerebral Palsy

Medicaid may help with the purchase of wheelchairs or provide financial aid for other services that can help people with cerebral palsy and other disabilities. Medicaid is administered by the state.

Other Financial help for People with Cerebral Palsy

There are other ways that parents whose children have cerebral palsy can get financial support. There are non-profit organizations that have sprung up in an effort to advocate for persons with cerebral palsy. They can offer support in a number of different ways and can help parents learn to cope with the condition.

Financial Assistance & Medical Malpractice

It is important to note that some children and parents affected by cerebral palsy will be entitled to additional financial assistance should the cerebral palsy be caused by a medical mistake. Birth injuries are a leading cause of cerebral palsy in infants. If you suspect that your child was injured in any way before, during, or shortly after you gave birth, you may be able to seek compensation via a birth injury lawsuit.

While charitable organizations and the government will have their own requirements for securing financial help, in a birth injury lawsuit, patients will likely have a legal claim, if doctors and nurses failed to:

  • perform a C-section in a timely manner when complications obviously demanded one
  • diagnose and treat a baby's lack of oxygen, meningitis and/or seizures
  • diagnose and treat a mother's high blood pressure, toxemia or infections
  • diagnose and treat a prolapsed umbilical cord (a cord that is wrapped around a baby's neck, potentially cutting off the oxygen supply)
  • diagnose and treat heart rate changes in the mother or baby

In addition, incorrectly using forceps or excessive use of vacuum extraction may also result in a birth injury. Should any of these factors play a role in causing a case of cerebral palsy, patients and their families may be entitled to compensation for the injuries they’ve incurred and the challenges they face.

Get More Information

A financial recovery will not reverse your child’s cerebral palsy, however, financial assistance can help you provide the best services for your child and will help ease some of the stress associated with the disability. For more information about the financial assistance available to you and your child with cerebral palsy, contact a cerebral palsy attorney today. You can reach us directly by calling (800) 646-6570 or by sending an email to a qualified legal professional.

  • 1Contact info
  • 2Birth conditions
  • 3Hospitalization
Please fill out each question: